Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Creative Space - Pooh Messenger Bag

I love messenger bags and have found another awesome tutorial - my first bag project was this easy tote. This time it was a surprise for Miss 4, who has been using shopping bags to imitate my shoulder-bag ever since I went back to my part-time job a few months ago ("Bye mum, I'm off to work").




She is obsessed with Winnie the Pooh (unavoidable really as I am too and have been brainwashing her since birth), so I have combined denim offcuts with some Pooh accents. If you do not recognise the applique on the flap, it is from the TV series 'My Friends Tigger and Pooh', which has little in common with the original stories but involves 'super-sleuthing' mysteries. It was a very easy applique, just a question-mark shape I already had from my t-shirts, plus a triangle with rounded corners.



The lining fabric was leftover from a pinboard Aimee made my daughter as a baby shower present (see - since birth!) and Spotlight had the Pooh and Tigger twill tape in a clearance a few weeks ago. I followed the tutorial pretty closely and just made the strap approximately 2/3 the original length so it was child-sized.




It was so much fun that I am trying to figure out what I would like on one for myself - applique? some patchwork? The beauty of the messenger bag is you can embellish the flap however you want. Thanks mmmcrafts for a great tutorial.

Around 200 creative spaces are on show every week at http://www.kootoyoo.com/.

p.s. If you are not a sewer but would like to get a messenger-style bag for a little person you know, these gorgeous ones are currently on sale...

p.p.s. I love these bags by the very clever Cat Taylor

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love how Pooh is on the inside - it might inspire to use the bag more & maybe put more things away (so she can keep seeing Pooh!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I think I know another little girl that might want one too :) Thanks for the link to the Tute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I would use that bag, Winnie the Pooh and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that it has the question mark on.
    Very gorgeous!!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bag! I love all the details - your daughter is a lucky little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fantastic... the question mark is a great touch too. I've been planning to make a messenger bag for my two boys, you've inspired me to take action on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet, I love the question mark!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. It is very beautiful I like the fact that you reused things that she has had since birth. Winnie the Pooh is pretty cool. My favourite is Piglet. He is cute. The little bags might make good Xmas presents for my nephews and nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. would love to make one of these one day, yours looks awesome! will have to check out the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw shucks, so stoked you kept that fabric since I made the board :) It looks fabulous, and in fact has helped me figure out the last part of a present for someone....

    ReplyDelete
  11. O really that's cute one and its blue color is also nice.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails