Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Letter for a Friend


I'm so pleased with how this cushion came out - it was a (slightly late) birthday present for my blog buddy Aimee! The amazing fabric is by Melody Miller and reminds me of Aimee because she is a writer and loves bold colours.


Designer quilting fabric is rare and expensive in New Zealand but I saw that Stitchbird Fabrics were stocking these designs and a $10 fat quarter to make a pretty cushion is not too bad (the fat quarter just fitted the large 48cm cushion I was using). Also the fabric has some linen in it which makes it feel more durable than quilting cotton.


I first saw Melody Miller's designs when Aimee wrote about her in early 2011 (here) and have followed her blog ever since - I think a lot of crafters dream about designing fabric lines and she is very candid about how she got there.


She even has a tutorial for making a headscarf, so cute, I am definitely trying one out next summer!


Linking up with Creative Spaces where everyone shares what they were up to this week  :)

19 comments:

  1. Fantastic Cushion. I'm sure your blog buddy will be chuffed to bits with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous fabric and a beautiful pillow! I shall have to have a look at Melody Miller's blog - thanks for the link!


    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cushion! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet Aimee loves it and your title really sums it up - gorgeous.

    Happy day clever You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just LOVE that fabric (and those others you've shown). I'm sure she'll treasure her cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all right :) I DO absolutely adore it. It's adorning my 'thinking and reading' chair in my home office - I'll take a picture and post it up later on today!
    Hugs and kisses Greta, love your blog buddy Aimee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cushion, what a great gift! Thanks for the headscarf tutorial link too, I really one to make one now too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cushion, I love that fabric and really want some for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this print!
    So great to turn it into a cushion with meaning!xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fabric is amazing! It has made a very sweet pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are so thoughtful love your gift for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cute pillow for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous, love it. And the fabric - cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the typewriters and the viewfinders - those remind me of my youth! Lovely gift idea

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome cushion! :) It looks fab Greta.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my I do love that fabric (off for a nosey at stitchbirds site now ;))

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the tea pot and cup fabric, that would look fab on a cushion :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails